Man refused bail for alleged assaults on pregnant partner

A Canberra man was refused bail on Tuesday after allegedly launching a violent assault on his pregnant partner in the middle of the night.

In an incident lasting hours, the 35-year-old dragged the woman by the hair and kicked her in the stomach before threatening her with two kitchen knives, a police statement of facts tendered in court alleges.

The man, who has not been named to protect the identity of his partner, pleaded not guilty to all charges during his appearance in the ACT Magistrates Court.

Prosecutors opposed his release on bail.

The Phillip man had been drinking when he returned to his unit about 2am on Monday and pulled his partner from bed by her hair, the documents allege.

“He was verbally abusive towards her and making incoherent accusations against [the woman] saying she was talking to people overseas and had secret applications on her mobile telephone.”

It is alleged he dragged the woman by her hair along the carpet causing friction burns and losing hair.

It’s further alleged he shoved her across the room before kicking her in the stomach.

“The defendant did this knowing that [the woman] was four weeks pregnant with his child.”

The documents suggest the man used his knee on her throat causing her difficulty breathing.

He grabbed her by the hair and dragged her out of the room.

He put her on the couch and started to go through her phone and demand passwords and passcodes to the woman’s bank and social media accounts.

The documents say he went to the kitchen and took a butcher’s knife and a bread knife and threatened to stab her.

He held the point of the knife at her throat, it’s alleged.

She went to the balcony on the second floor flat and screamed for help and considered jumping to escape.

It is alleged he dragged her back in by the hair and threatened to kill the woman and her family if she went to police.

The documents say that at about 5.30am he allowed her to leave the flat.

On Tuesday, the man entered pleas of not guilty to 11 charges stemming from the alleged incident.

There are three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three counts of common assault, two counts of choking, and one each of using an offensive weapon, forcible confinement and threat to kill.

He applied for bail but prosecutors said he posed a serious risk to the alleged victim, who had “very very significant fears.”

There was also a risk he would flee to Queensland, the prosecutor said.

The man was on parole at the time of the alleged offences, the court heard.

From the man’s defence solicitor the court heard he worked as a labourer, and was working off bills and paying rent at the Phillip unit. He would lose his job if refused bail, the solicitor said, and he had no family in Canberra who could help him.

Magistrate Peter Morrison refused bail.

At the request of prosecutors Colonel Morrison also made a non-contact order prohibiting the man from communicating with the alleged victim.

The case is next due in court on December 19.