Four teens face ACT Magistrates Court after flying across country for alleged thefts

Four teenagers flew into Canberra from Perth this week to allegedly conduct a series of thefts amounting to more than $15,000 using fake credit card numbers.

The teens were apprehended in the city on Friday trying to escape from police and faced the ACT Magistrate’s Court on Saturday morning.

Deng Guot pleaded guilty to two counts of dishonestly obtaining property by deception. A co-offender, Dut William Chut, 18, has been charged with two counts of knowingly being in the company of persons committing an offence.

Two brothers, both underage, also faced court in relation to the thefts and all four were remanded in custody.

It is alleged the four males flew from Perth on Wednesday with fake credit card details obtained from the internet.

They then allegedly used those details to purchase numerous gift cards which were then used to purchase thousands of dollars worth of stock from around Canberra.

The four males travelled around Canberra in a taxi asking the driver to wait at various location while they entered stores to illegally purchase goods.

They allegedly purchased $8273 worth of stock from CEX Gungahlin and $7660 in products from The Good Guys Tuggeranong including mobile phones, tablets and laptops.

The taxi driver, eventually suspecting the males were committing offences, called a colleague who then called police.

Officers pulled the taxi over in the city when the four males exited the vehicle and tried to evade police before officers apprehended them and conveyed them to the watchhouse.

The court heard that Guot and Chut are wanted for similar offences in several other jurisdictions, which meant they were subject to section 9D of the ACT Bail Act. This meant they had to show special or exceptional circumstances to be granted bail.

Chut told the court he was concerned his mother did not know where he was and he was expected back in Perth on Saturday evening. Magistrate Peter Morrison refused his bail application.

Guot told the court he had his year 12 graduation to attend on Monday but did not apply for bail and admitted when entering pleas of guilty he knew what the group had done was wrong.

The police prosecutor suggested further charges may be laid in other jurisdictions and extradition orders may follow after the ACT matters were dealt with.

Guot and Chut will next appear in court on November 3 while the juveniles will appear on November 6 at the Childrens Court.